BUFFALO, N.Y.—Senior Ali Shawish (Lackawanna/Lackawanna) and junior Saleman Salim (Nairobi, Kenya/Hutch Tech) each scored, while freshman Moe Saif (Lackawanna/Coppell (TX)) tallied a late insurance marker in his first game as a Bengal to lead Buffalo State to a decisive 3-0 season-opening victory over host Medaille.
FINAL SCORE: Buffalo State – 3, Medaille - 0
LOCATION: Medaille Athletic Complex – Buffalo, N.Y.
RECORDS: Buffalo State (1-0), Medaille (0-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Theo Pencic (Oslo, Norway) was credited with his first assist of the season.
- The Bengals dominated from the opening whistle and were rewarded by opening the scoring in the 19th minute as Shawish pushed past his defender and buried the shot as the visitors took an early lead.
- Buffalo State doubled its lead in the 31st minute as a cross from Colin O'Keefe (Buffalo/Canisius) found Pencic who sent a backheel pass to a sprinting Salem for his first-career goal.
- Medaille nearly cut into the deficit with a shot in the 38th minute but was denied by the outstretched arms of Andreas Queen (Stone Ridge/Rondout Valley) to keep the score at 2-0 at the half.
- The Bengals closed out their scoring with a goal in the 71st minute as Saif scored on his own rebound, set up by a cross from Zak Shaibi (Buffalo/McKinley).
- Buffalo State outshot the Mavericks 18-12, while Queen needed only two saves to earn his first shutout of the season.
FOR THE FOES
- Jonny Pitts recorded five saves in net for Medaille.
- With the shutout against Medaille, senior Andreas Queen (Stone Ridge/Rondout Valley) now has 16 career shutouts.
Buffalo State travels to RIT on Sunday at 7 p.m.