BUFFALO, N.Y.— Eimile O'Brien (Marietta/Marcellus) and Alena McKelvey (Buffalo/City Honors) combined for 22 kills and 20 digs as Buffalo State notched its fifth-consecutive victory over Medaille with a straight-sets win in non-conference action this evening.
FINAL SCORE: Buffalo State def. Medaille, 3-0 (25-14, 25-14, 25-18)
LOCATION: Kevin I. Sullivan Center – Buffalo, N.Y.
RECORDS: Buffalo State (6-13), Medaille (3-18)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- O'Brien paced the Bengals' offense with 13 kills to go along with 12 digs.
- McKelvey chipped in nine kills and eight digs, while Bryanna Fisher (Brooklyn/Midwood) and Kayla Wolinski (Lancaster/Lancaster) each tallied five kills apiece.
- Brooke Federko (Jamestown/Jamestown) finished with a game-high 28 assists and Darion Jonathan (Akron/Akron) led the Bengals with 18 digs.
- Buffalo State jumped out to an early 12-5 lead, on the strength of four service aces, and maintained the momentum to cruise to a 25-14 win in the first set.
- Medaille responded with strong play to open the second stanza, as the Bengals' lead slimmed to 11-9, but could not complete the rally as Buffalo State 10 of the next 12 points to take a 21-11 lead.
- The Bengals used a late Maverick's service error and a kill from Federko to claim the second frame, 25-14.
- After a back-and-forth third set left the score at 15-15 at the midway point of the third set, Buffalo State closed out the straight-sets victory by scoring 10 of the final 13 points to win the third stanza, 25-18.
- The Bengals finished with an advantage in kills (38-23), service aces (11-2) and digs (71-55).
FOR THE FOES
- Lindsey Howell led the Mavericks with seven kills.
- Olivia Anderson added four kills and a team-high 13 digs.
Buffalo State returns to SUNYAC play as it hosts Oswego in the Sports Arena on Oct. 18. The first serve is slated for 6 p.m.