Numbers don't always tell the tale of a team. But the Hamlne lacrosse team accumulated some impressive ones in a 18-4 win at Concordia (Ill.) Sunday afternoon.
In addition to registering their third highest scoring output of the season, there are these figures to consider:
- 10. This is the number of wins the Pipers have without a loss to start the 2019 season. It is also the number of goals they scored in the first half Sunday at Chicago. It is also the number of saves Molly Dionne had in goal Sunday.
- 7. This is the number of points Alycia Monserrate Novotny had in Sunday's game.
- 4. This is the number of goals Maya Hernandez scored and the number of assists Monserrate Novotny racked up.
- 3. This is the number of goals Monserrate Novotny and Sydney Dynneson scored against CUC..
- 50. We saved the best for last. This is the number of wins HU head coach Karen Heggernes in the four years she has guided the program. Sunday's win pushed Heggernes' career won-loss mark to 50-16, a .758 winning percentage.
There were other notable digits as well. HU outshot CUC, 34-20, and ranked up 27 ground balls.
After surrendering a goal in the first minute of play, the Pipers scored second in the second minute of competition. Concordia tied the game only to see Hamline score eight goals in a row and eventually take a 10-3 lead into halftime. Dynneson, who leads the team with 30 goals, added a pair in the second half as HU pulled away to improve to 7-0 in the Midwest Women's Lacrosse Conference.
The Pipers now head home to Klas Field for five straight games. The first of these is Wednesday, April 10 against Northwestern. Game time is 7:00 p.m.