BUFFALO, N.Y. – Nina Schaefer (Lafayette/Lafayette) and Jackie Dufresne (Lake View/Frontier) combined for 11 goals but it was not enough as the Bengals rally fell just short in a 16-14 loss to visiting Oneonta in SUNYAC action on a rainy Coyer Field.
FINAL SCORE: Oneonta – 16, Buffalo State – 14
LOCATION: Coyer Field - Buffalo, N.Y.
RECORDS: Oneonta (5-4/1-0), Buffalo State (5-3/1-1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Schaefer finished with game-high six goals with a pair of free position goals, while Dufresne tallied five goals and an assist.
- Hannah Nagowski (Lancaster/Lancaster) chipped in a team-high five assists.
- Liz Schultheis (Brockport/Brockport) scored twice while Mary Musialowski (Lancaster/Sacred Heart) added a goal and an assist.
- Hailey Whitney (W. Seneca West/W. Seneca West) and Melissa Camp (Walworth/Gananda) finished with a combined 10 caused turnover and 13 ground balls.
- Buffalo State and Oneonta traded goals for much of the first half until the Red Dragons scored two unanswered goals to end the first stanza to take a 9-7 lead into intermission.
- The Bengals rallied after finding themselves down 12-9 to trim the deficit to 12-11 on a free position goal from Musialowski with 14:09 left.
- The Red Dragons responded with scoring three of the next four goals to push their lead to 15-12 with 3:51 left.
- Buffalo State used a pair of goals by Schaefer in just over a two minute span to cut the lead to 15-14, but a late insurance marker sealed the win.
- Janae Nelson (Elmont/Elmont Memorial) finished with 15 saves in net for the Bengals.
- Oneonta held a 31-23 advantage in shots on goal and forced 26 Buffalo State turnovers.
- Buffalo State finished with a 28-23 edge in ground balls.
FOR THE FOES
- Kelsey Cohen finished with five goals and an assist, while Victoria Varone and Lily Avazis chipped in three goals each.
- Jaclyn Marry and Lexi Keen combined for nine saves in net for the Red Dragons.
Buffalo State travels to Brockport on next Wednesday for a SUNYAC contest starting at 4 p.m.