BUFFALO, N.Y. – Nina Schaefer (Lafayette/Lafayette) finished with a game-high eight goals and five assists to match a school record for points in a game and to become the 17th player in Buffalo State history to reach the 100-point plateau as the Bengals cruised past visiting Fredonia in a "Battle by the Lake" contest that doubled as the programs' Team Molly Game.
FINAL SCORE: Buffalo State – 23, Fredonia – 7
LOCATION: Coyer Field - Buffalo, N.Y.
RECORDS: Buffalo State (5-2/1-0), Fredonia (3-6/0-2)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Schaefer paced the Bengals' offense by scoring eight goals on only 10 shots, while finished 2 for 2 on free position shots.
- Hannah Nagowski (Lancaster/Lancaster) tallied five goals and two assists, and Mary Musialowski (Lancaster/Sacred Heart) added five goals to go along with an assist.
- Kendall Skuse (Churchville/Churchville-Chili) chipped in three goals and two assists, while both Jackie Dufresne (Lake View/Frontier) and Liz Schultheis (Brockport/Brockport) also scored for the Bengals.
- After Fredonia and Buffalo State traded goals for the first 10 minutes of action, the Bengals tallied five-unanswered goals to extend its lead to 9-2 with 13:25 left in the first frame.
- The Blue Devils scored back-to-back goals following a timeout to trim the deficit to 9-4 but could not hold the momentum as Buffalo State scored twice in the final 20 seconds of the first frame to cap off a 7-2 run to push its lead to 16-6 at intermission.
- The Bengals outscored Fredonia 7-1 in the second half to cruise for the win.
- Janae Nelson (Elmont/Elmont Memorial) finished with seven saves in 52 minutes of action in the net to earn the win.
- Makenna Murphy (Rochester/Hoosac) made two saves in the final eight minutes.
FOR THE FOES
- Samantha Spiess led the Blue Devils with three goals and an assist.
- Bridget Carey made seven saves in net for Fredonia.
- Buffalo State's 16 first half goals and 23 total goals for the game both match program records.
- Schaefer moves into 14th all-time in program history with 110 career points
- With the win, Buffalo State earns two key points as it retakes a 14-13 lead in the season-long "Battle by the Lake" competition.
Buffalo State hosts Oneonta in another SUNYAC contest on Saturday at 1 p.m.