Providence, R.I.--Rhode Island College junior Matt Gambardella (West Warwick, RI) battled to a three-set (6-4, 1-6, 6-3) win at No. 3 singles to clinch a 6-3 win for the Anchormen vs. Thomas on Saturday afternoon at the RIC Tennis Center.
Rhode Island College 6, Thomas 3
(Rhode Island College 3-0)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Thomas earned an 8-5 win at No. 1 doubles as the duo of sophomore Ryan Chasse (Fort Kent, ME) and senior Zachary Disch (Waterville, ME) defeated the RIC pair of senior Brett Taggart (North Kingstown, RI) and Alex Bourque (North Smithfield, RI).
• The Anchormen rebounded with an 8-2 victory at No. 2 doubles as freshmen Cam Chadwick (Narragansett, RI) and Mike Dickie (Smithfield, RI) downed Thomas junior Ross Munn (Brunswick, ME) and sophomore Jared Waterhouse (Dayton, ME).
• RIC freshman Ethan Hoy (West Warwick, RI) and Gambardella bested sophomore Kaleb Payson (Lemoine, ME) and junior Christo Naranja (Fort Kent, ME), 8-6, at No. 3 doubles to build a 2-1 advantage heading into singles.
• Hoy defeated Patterson (6-1, 6-4) at No. 5 singles and Dickie bested Naranja (6-2, 6-2) to give RIC a 4-1 lead. Chasse pulled the visitors within two with a straight set (6-0, 6-3) victory at No. 1 singles.
• Gambardella then secured the win with a decision over Disch. Taggart outlasted Munn (6-1, 2-6, 6-4) before Waterhouse gave Thomas its final point of the day with a three-set win (6-4, 2-6, 6-3) vs. Bourque.
• In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will host Clark on Wednesday, March 28 (3:30 p.m.).