Providence, R.I.--Junior outside hitter Jillian Ward (Coventry, RI) tallied eight kills and added five digs to help lead the Rhode Island College women's volleyball team to a commanding, 3-0 (25-5, 25-12, 25-18) victory against Anna Maria in a non-conference contest played at The Murray Center on Thursday night.
Rhode Island College 3, Anna Maria 0
Rhode Island College (12-9)
Anna Maria (4-15)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• The Anchorwomen downed the AMCats, 25-5, in the first set, paced by four kills from Ward. Senior outside hitter Courtney Lambrese (Cranston, RI) picked up five digs and added two kills in the set. Senior setter Abigayl White (Coventry, RI) notched seven assists and three kills. Senior outside hitter Rebeccca Foti (Bedford, NH) led the way for Anna Maria with two kills and three digs, while junior setter Kerri Earle (Bethel, CT) handed out two assists for Anna Maria.
• RIC dominated the second set, cruising to a 13-point, 25-12, victory. Ward recorded four kills and four digs in the frame. Sophomore setter Jacqueline Jutras (Foster, RI) added six assists, three digs and two blocks for the Anchorwomen. Foti had three kills, three digs and a pair of service aces for the AMCats.
• The Anchorwomen completed the sweep by knocking off the visitors to win, 25-18, in the third and decisive set. Lambrese had four kills and five digs, while Jutras notched eight assists and two digs in the win. Earle paced Anna Maria with two kills and two digs in the set.
BY THE NUMBERS
• RIC hit .274 (38-12-95) in the match, while Anna Maria hit -.106 (11-21-94)
• The win was the third straight for the Anchorwomen and the fifth straight three-set sweep.
• RIC held a 52-34 advantage in digs and a recorded 10 service aces and five blocks in the victory.
In upcoming action, Rhode Island College will host Emmanuel in a non-conference contest at the Murray Center on Saturday, Oct. 14 (1 p.m.).